Quantisal Oral Fluid Collection Instructions
Observe the collection process in its entirety. Make sure the donor has not had anything in their mouth for at least 10 minutes. This includes the use of mouthwash or breath sprays that contain alcohol and may result in a false positive if ethanol is ordered.
- Hand the package to the donor and have them examine the expiration date on the device and make sure it is valid.
- While opening the package have the donor close their mouth and move their tongue from side to side to stimulate the production of saliva. Do not swallow.
- Grasp the handle and position the cotton pad under their tongue like a thermometer.
- Keep the device under the tongue until the volume adequacy indicator on the handle turns blue. The donor must not talk or bite the device during the collection process.
- Remind the donor to keep their head down during the collection to allow the saliva to reach the blue indicator more easily. The collector must NOT leave the room during the collection. The volume adequacy indicator should turn blue within a few minutes.
- During this time, you can fill out the requisition.
- When the volume adequacy indicator turns blue instruct the donor to remove the red cap from the plastic vial being careful NOT to spill the blue liquid.
- Remove the collection device from the mouth and place the pad first into the transport tube. Place the red cap back on the device and push down firmly.
- Take the security seal and place it over the top of the device and press down both sides of the seal to secure it to the device.
- Place the transport device back into the package and include a completed DrugScan requisition and send to DrugScan for analysis.
Samples may be stored at room temperature prior to shipment. You may contact the laboratory with any questions.